Old 05-29-23, 11:11 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
...with the exception of the case where a quick and easy disconnect for the SON hub dynamo is desired.

I'm not aware of any connectors designed for this sort of situation... where you want a secure, reliable connection but also want to be able to just pull it apart easily. Maybe a better solution would be to rig something up with magnets? I recall someone soldering wire to a rare earth magnet and then using the magnet to make the connection to a battery. For anyone not happy with the options discussed so far, perhaps this is a path to explore.

Steve in Peoria
An option might be some plastic tab that you press for disconnecting from the dynohub, as typical for automotive connectors. You will sure find some customers who will try to rip the connector, but then you can underscore the presence of the solution in the market. Magnet option could be good - I have such connectors for charging a headset and a headlamp and they work fine. The worry there, though, has been with the standard - if I lose the charging cable while away from my base I am cooked. To be honest, the concentric SON connector has worked well for me, holding better than Shimano that could slip off at times. On my bikes there are, though, far many more junctions than those at the dynohub. The obvious problem with the original SON connection was that the 2 tabs were too close to each other and to the hub, for fingers, and each connector had to be moved independently, That the lingering problem, scaring many customers, was finally solved at some level with that intermediate concentric connector.