View Single Post
Old 03-13-06, 04:17 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I am training for a tour that starts in about a month (Carmel to Phoenix via San Diego). I plan to do between 50 and 75 miles a day on tour. My usual training ride is 35 miles. I can easily extend it to 45 or 50 miles by simply going straight instead of making a certain right turn.

I have been adding weight to the bike, a bit every week (I use bottles of water instead of rice) and have now added my tent and sleeping bag. I am probably close to 70%-80% of tour weight. It is amazing to me that adding as little as 5 pounds to the bike makes a difference in how my legs feel.

As a side note, a lot more bicyclists talk to you when you are riding around with a full set of panniers. I always feel a bit sheepish when I have no great story to tell them.

I want to second the recommendations of taking your load out on an overnight shakedown ride. I've removed alot of things that were too heavy or unnecessary weight as a result. Note that your bike will handle very different under load than unloaded. It is important to get accustomed to riding a loaded bike before you head out on day 1.

I have a training question, as well

If you have to make a choice, is it better to do longer distance with less weight versus shorter distance with more weight?

Ray

Last edited by raybo; 03-14-06 at 02:35 PM.