View Single Post
Old 05-30-23, 02:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
What about your Voyageur SP?
Ugh, you have to bring that up... ugh...

So, like 5 years ago I went out to the garage and I see a 2x4 sitting on the middle of the garage floor- the little girl had some friends over and I thought maybe they had been digging around, looking for something in the garage... so I grab the VSP, ride to the bike store to pick up some stuff, and I parked the bike and something just looked "off." And then I see the dent in the top tube. What I've surmised is that I had that 2x4 stashed in the rafters, and over a few years of opening and closing the garage, that 2x4 fell square on the top tube of my VSP. It's really just cosmetic, but it sucks the soul out of you- and it's JUST in my peripheral vision. I have had the bike mostly torn apart for the past 3 years just because I'm more crushed than the TT.

That being said, the 2 Voyageurs that I've had, they have a less laid back geometry- it feels familiar, yet weird for the first few miles or so. I've ridden a lot of miles on both my old 86 Voyageur and the 84 Voyageur SP- but I haven't done a lot of 'loaded' riding with either of them.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.