Old 05-31-23, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Specifically on the sharrows:

I frequently rode on Oxford street before the sharrows, and continue to ride on it after the sharrows. They've made no difference in MY behavior (I always took the lane there), but I immediately noticed far more people on bikes riding in the center of the lane. They've also quieted the "drivers of motor vehicles" too. Another huge help later was another traffic control device, the speed limit was reduced to 25 mph. And there are speed tables at many intersections.

The sharrows through Harvard Square have made a HUGE difference in the behavior of "drivers of motor vehicles." (This is MA HOLE ground zero.)

The sharrows in Brookline are good, but fading. Biggest help is the one ways keep "drivers of motor vehicles" from cutting through, while the contra-bike lanes permit a passage for people on bikes. The sharrows seem to complement the contra-bike lanes.

Finally, some of the first studies on sharrows took place on Mass Ave in Cambridge. Professor Peter Furth of Northeastern invented the "sharrows on steroids."

-mr. bill
Yeah, this is why I'm not as cynical about sharrows as many of the posters here, because many of the ones in the Boston environs have really been well-implemented and seem to be doing some good. I'm not an enthusiast generally only because most implementations I've come across elsewhere seem ineffective at best.

I've driven, ridden and walked/public transit in most of the areas in your photos, and driving is, by far, the most difficult alternative there.

Rode on the Minuteman Sunday, and had kind thoughts for you. Had a great lunch at the Classic Cafe in Arlington Heights.

Excelsior, sir!