Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,863 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I would not say it turned out to be wrong, just not best. back in the 90s Jobst Brandt did a test on avocet tires that measured rolling resistance as a function of tire pressure. Those tests were run on a drum at (I think) Calspan laboratory which is a DOT sponsored vehicle safety and testing facility in upstate NY. A search of rec.bicycles.tech would probably find that test.

here's a long thread from THIRTY YEARS AGO on this topic. Tire width and rolling resistance. (google.com)

There was in fact a small reduction in rolling resistance for pressure increases above 100psi.

- HOWEVER -

Real roads are not smooth resistance drums. Tires that are rock-hard can be downright uncomfortable to ride, especially on less than perfect surfaces. And we now have tires with wider cross sections that provide enough floatation to protect against pinch flattnig even at very low pressures.

So "the best pressure" depends on a number of factors including what feels right to you ! But for a typical 28mm tire on a common road bike, ridden in non competitive conditions, 80-90 psi is a good starting point.

I'm sceptical that a calculator or app can better determine the right tire pressure than I can do for myself. Remember air temperature has something to do with it too.

/markp
This is the part I really agree with you on.
I'm sceptical that a calculator or app can better determine the right tire pressure than I can do for myself.
Not certain how this next statement comes into play since one doesn't typically monitor tire pressure and temperature once we finish pumping up the tire and begin pedaling.

Remember air temperature has something to do with it too.
Yeah, tires and rims will heat up on a hot road or with rim brakes being used a lot or for too long. But do you ever stop during a ride to adjust for that?