View Single Post
Old 06-03-23, 06:23 AM
darnet

Bikes: Raleighs (International, Super Tourer, Gran Sport, Super Course), Miyatas (610, Alumicross), Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosine,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 24 Posts
Peugeot UO-14 chosen

Boring but true, I’ve decided to complete the challenge on the Peugeot UO-14, Midnight Blue, built with Mangaloy double butted tubing. I’ve already ridden it twice, once after installing a chain and replacing the busted rear derailleur jockey wheels, and once again after that, each 7 mile rides. Everything else still works, including the little adjusting screws in the rear dropouts.

My final inspection finds that the UO-14 has original Stronglight 99 crank, Simplex front and rear derailleurs and shifters, brake levers & hoods, and hubs, and I presume the seatpost.

Not original (or at least not matching the brochure) are the
- Rims -- 700c Mavic versus the brochure’s 27-1/4” Weinmann rims, laced to original looking hubs (rear helicomatic)
- Freewheel -- brochure specs 13-30 cluster, but this bike has narrower gearing, 13-23
- Brake calipers -- brochure specs center-pull brakes, and front fork still has fitting for centerpull cable, but installed brakes are sidepull (but do look period).
- Seat -- not a Peugeot, in fact it’s a Motebecane! Looks generic but it’s been comfortable so far.
- Handlebars not “taped”, instead they’re covered with those foamy grips, which I actually like.

I’m not sure I want to do any further repairs or changes unless something else breaks along the way. The surface rust is fine; I think it really makes the paint color pop! I might have been tempted to install center-pull brakes, if I hadn't lost the center cable from one of the Mafac’s pulled from last years Motobecane Mirage. I might still be tempted to somehow fit a bigger big gear; the original brochure called for 30 teeth, and 23 teeth are not going to work well on my roads (maybe swap out the wheels with those I used in 2021 or 2022 challenges).

Picture the day it was found; some rusty areas; Mangaloy decal and shifters

Hubs and rim

Drivetrain nice and original, and derailleurs shift flawlessly

other details
Likes For darnet: