View Single Post
Old 06-05-23, 06:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad2
I have had a Fuji World touring bike for nearly 20 years and decided I needed disc brakes due to arthritis in my hands and also because for some reason I can't seem to get cantilever style brakes to work efficiently. I also though it was time for an upgrade. I looked at getting a new bike. Since the kids came along I haven't been touring but mostly road riding though I wanted to keep the door open for touring in the future. I thought about some off the shelf options available in Australia, most of which tended to be more like gravel bikes. Also considered custom.
I ended up getting the frame of the Fuji World modified to fit the hydraulic disc brakes which to be honest ended up as a new bike re-using the old frame! Worked out spectacularly well from my perspective. An important thing for me was that when it was completed I essentially had a bike that was already dialled for me. As you don't have a steel frame you don't have that kind of option but I'm sure you can update components if you want to. If you buy a new one be careful that the geometry works for you and the kind of riding you do.
I imagine that you changed out the fork for a disc specific one? Necessary as non disc forks are not designed for the one side forces of disc brakes. How much do you think you spent on doing these changes? I ask because one would think it would be more cost effective to find a used disc bike that fits you well, and would have newer stuff in general all in all, take wider tires etc.