Old 06-06-23, 02:41 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hey, I just posted in the other thread that you can handle reasonable disagreement, but maybe I need to retract that....

I was reacting to the first sentence of your post, you seem to be saying that you are shocked (your word) that people have a fear of automation. Then you equate full self driving with a bunch of other forms of automation that are very different in kind and degree. Sorry, but you can't claim in one post that manual transmission requires your attention but then go on to the next post and claim that that attention won't come at the cost of attending to some other task (i.e., paying attention to what' in front of you). One thing everyone who has studied human attention knows is that it is a finite resource, operating a clutch and stick may not require your eyes off the road, but it very well may interfere with your ability to process the information. .Seriously, if it's a matter of actually making people safer drivers, why is manual transmission practically extinct in modern cars on the road?

I don't think I was wrong to point out that full self driving is something that could actually make road safety worse. You want to consider fear of that "shocking", fine, but I think that's way over the top to compare that concern with an antipathy towards power steering.

No idea why you think that's a personal attack warranting a WTAF, but WTAF back at you on that accord.
We're back-and-forth on different threads, and there's spillover that's outta sequence. I'm sorry for creating any confusion. Let's just move on, thanks.