Old 06-07-23, 02:10 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,616 Posts
hmmm... unusual jobs?...
Not really unusual... fixed electronics on jet aircraft in the Marines.
... helped design a box that gives audio warnings in the C-17 cargo plane.
... helped design a laser communications system for one of the Star Wars satellites
... helped produce and design electrical power systems for satellites
... various electronics designs for Big Yellow Machines

Some of these jobs did provide opportunities for doing novel stuff.
As an avionics tech in a Marine training squadron, I did get to spend a little time in the backseat of the two-seat jets inflight. Other than filling up my "relief container" a few times, it was a lot of fun.
btw, fellow BF member @bianchigirl was also a member of this squadron at approximately the same time. Small world!

A pic from the first flight:

Being an engineer for Big Yellow Machines did provide opportunities to operate them. In this shot, I'm trying out the D11 Carrydozer. I had developed a sensor that allowed the "carrydozer" feature to work.

For non-work stuff... I did do a little skydiving with friends. After 5 static-line jumps, I did a freefall jump. Unfortunately... the parachute didn't come out! I had to use the emergency chute. It was a round chute, so I landed wherever the wind took me. It worked out and I was fine, but it did freak out my friend who jumped right after me.
Hopefully no one else here has experienced this.

edit: high school mascot: saber, which I think meant saber-tooth tiger... although it looked more like a panther, if memory serves?? Not important.

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 06-07-23 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For steelbikeguy: