rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2707 Post(s)
Liked 5,989 Times in 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I got used to a helmet mirror by not using one and instead using the power of technology to project objects behind me onto the screen of my GPS unit.
- Garmin Varia rear light and radar- it displays the number of vehicles behind me, shows how fast they are approaching relative to my speed, notifies me when one appears, and notifies me when all within 150 yards of me are no longer traveling faster than my speed.

Admittedly I dont really care about it too much on paved roads in the metro's city or suburbs. I expect there will be traffic and mostly ride either side roads, roads with 2 lanes so cars can easily pass me, or well traveled single lane roads that have a speed close to what I can ride on that road. In all those examples, I notice vehicles, but dont really care that they are there since I set myself up for safe riding and am easily passed if necessary.
The Varia really shines on gravel roads. I can ride wherever I want on the road and can freely pick the best line, wherever it may be, while not worrying if a car is inconvenienced behind me. This is especially true since I cant always hear vehicles approaching due to wind and surface noise. Once the radar notifies me, I check back and move to the right to allow the car to pass. They dont have to slow down and I am safe- everyone is happy. It is helpful on country roads/county highways too, though to a lesser extent than gravel. Vehicles go faster on the paved roads and since its paved, I am over to the right at all times, so there really isnt much for me to do when the head unit notifies me. It is still nice to know though, since it can sometimes be 5 or 10 minutes between vehicle passes. Its sort of a finger snap to wake up and be aware for a moment since its really easy to get into a focus tunnel when you are on quiet rural roads.

Anyways- let technology be your guide. Give in to the robots and stop trying to look behind you by using a bouncy small mirror.
I ride a lot of beat to crap country roads where the only decent paved part is down the center of the lane. With Varia, I can ride down the center without constantly monitoring what’s coming up behind me. When I get an alert, I move to the right and watch the icons to see when traffic has cleared and then do a quick head-check to verify and move back to the center. It makes all the difference between feeling beaten to death (or your standard gravel ride) and smooth sailing. Will never ride without it. However I do understand it, combined with the head-unit can get expensive, unless you combine with a phone-mount and the app.