View Single Post
Old 06-09-23, 02:16 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 221 Posts
Another day for a close watch on the weather radar. After lunch seemed like a good time for a ride not too far afield. I wanted to make it count and picked the long, hilly way to the BFRT at I-495, and from there the short stretch to the Lowell terminus. Skyward glance, something is in store for sure, but still some time off.

I turned around and followed the BFRT to Chelmsford center. Next decision point. Take the short way home from here, or keep going?

A little more ominous but should hold until I get to High Street, no? Oh, and I finally wanted to identify the tufty grass that's been growing across from the Brickhouse restaurant, I had been noticing that patch all spring. So, onward.

Well, Google tells me it's an invasive species, an annual called cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum). Not a huge problem here in Mass. but very much despised in the prairie states because it outcompetes native grasses, and fuels wildfires. As can be seen, it's already pinkish-ripe and ready to drop a lot of seeds.

I got to High St which, it turned out, had received a nice smooth layer of asphalt. Not the final coat yet, hence the warning signs, but irresistible nonetheless. The question was which way to turn. Right for the quickest way home, or left for a hilly detour back into the center?

I decided to take the more challenging route. I hadn't been up that way in months, in fact I think the last time was back when there were sap buckets on some of the maple trees. Now some of that very syrup is in our fridge; my wife spotted it at the farmers market recently.

Left turn onto Route 27 for the quick descent into town, and as it was all for exercise today, I even took the slingshot around the public library instead of cutting short on the sidewalks. It was now beginning to look like I should keep going at a good pace to beat the rain, so no photos. I reached home minutes before my wife came home from a grocery run. Grinning, she handed me this:

Bit of an indulgence (from Whole Paycheck Foods). I cannot comment on those taste notes yet.

And another few minutes later, we did get a brief but intense downpour!

11.4 miles and 517 feet climbed.
Likes For EVlove: