Old 06-15-23, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
I sympathize. I love short rides but find long rides utterly tedious. 95% of my riding is under 90 minutes in duration.

There are three things that have improved my experience markedly:

1) I build and maintain my own bikes. Somehow, this makes me enjoy riding those bike much more. I'm constantly evaluating their awesomeness and planning future upgrades.

2) Aftershokz headphones. They are bone conduction headphones so you can hear your audio as well as ambient noise for safety. Sometimes it's rockin' tunes, other times it's interesting podcasts.

3) I deliberately ride where there are no cars and, often, pedestrians. For better or worse, this makes the experience feel faster and more dangerous to me. Slogging away on the highway with vehicles passing me as though I was at a stand still is not for me other than the handful of century's etc that I ride annually where it's more of a social thing.

Basic rule, if riding for distance, make it fun. If you can't make it fun, pick a different activity.

You. sir, have found ways to make it fun!

I'm pretty sure OP would not consider 90 mintes to be a short ride, btw.