Old 06-15-23, 08:26 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Grant Petersen says a few kind words about Richard and Marc of Waterford.

As for me, Waterford was a mere 60 miles from my house. Just South and a little East. First time I talked to Waterford on the phone, Richard answered and took my questions. Rivendell was just taking off and Tim Isaac, Curt Goodrich and Waterford were all making frames for Grant. I kept about $2000 or so for a bike trip and camping tour around Wisconsin. Little did I know I was going to spend twice that amount getting geared up.

Anyway, I saw two bikes; a Voodoo Wazoo cyclocross bike and the Rivendell All-Rounder, which eventually evolved into the Atlantis. Strangely enough, I also thought of getting a Cannondale M2000 or a Specialized M2 Pro. Either way, I liked the idea of using 26” wheels for touring instead of 700c. You have to remember this was close to 30 years ago. Bikes and bikepacking is far more sophisticated and kind of en vogue now.

Well, I talked to Waterford and told Richard, with terrible honesty, what I wanted. He suggested I check out their website and look at what models they have and come down or email my ideas to him for the bike frame.

”Yeah, sounds great. It’s on Netscape?”

”Yeah, it’s formatted.”

”All right, so what’s your name?”

”Richard.”

”Okay. What’s your last name?”

“Schwinn.”

(Beat) !!

”Wait, what? Really?” I was floored.

“Yeah, we used to make Schwinn Paramounts here in Waterford when Ignaz had it.”

Well, I thought that was pretty cool. How many times do you meet anyone named after your first bike on the phone? I am sure Richard got that shocked reaction often from strangers, especially bikers.

There was more to the story, of course. Heck, now I think of the local Kiwanis in Waterford having their annual festival with Roasted, butter dipped Corn and Grilled Brats. It’s worth going on a bike ride.

I sincerely hope everyone can show up in Waterford for the ride next weekend. It’ll be different and sad for the town and the bike industry once Richard and Marc locks up shop.
Likes For Writenride: