Old 06-18-23, 02:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4496 Post(s)
Liked 4,181 Times in 2,799 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Here is a list of things I don't like:

- newer cranksets with direct mount chainrings...I hate those and I am still using the older 4 and 5 bolt designs
- internal cable routing...I just hate it
- thru axles... I am still using nutted axles and quick release axles
- different axle spacing standards...I have two bikes with 135mm spacing and one with 120mm spacing.
- way too many different styles of disc brakes and each one has different pads... It's a jungle out there for brake pads.
- tubeless tires
I can agree with DM chainrings that is fine and ICR yeah take or leave it a lot of different pads yeah not a huge fan but not a massive bother there are quite a few brakes that use the same M525 Shimano pads. However I am curious why you dislike thru-axles beyond just I have stuff already? They make it super easy to installed a wheel properly the only drawback is it takes a little extra time but it stiffens things up at the axle which is good and it really makes it hard for thing to fall out or be done incorrectly. Plus the added width makes for a more stable wheel especially going with more gears which is happening.

Yeah proprietary sometimes sure but if you just always keep it in the same place it won't be a problem. The only time you lose stuff is if you just place willy nilly every time I am working on a thru-axle bike I just put the axle right back with a couple turns which is a second or two and never lose anything. No springs to lose or anything just a single quite large axle.