View Single Post
Old 06-19-23, 08:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3517 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by Tawraste666
Once again, thank you guys so much for your many suggestions. It is nice to see some truly 'novel' ideas coming out.
Hopefully a suitable, available and novel idea will rise to the surface.
To those who are critical of my request:
Yes, my bike is overkill for a daily 8 mile commute.
Yes, in the dark you can't see the aesthetic abomination that is 99% of bicycle lights these days.
Yes, I am being obsessive and a little pedantic.
However, trying to improve my bike brings me a lot of pleasure. It is not just a machine to be utilised, it is something with which I can nurture a sense of pride and enjoyment. Overall, it is a positive thing.
There is a huge amount of positivity here on this forum, and I think that this is something to be encouraged.
Thanks again for your ideas guys, please keep them coming.
You are fortunate that you can commute on a bike like that.

I did not commute to work on a bike but a lot of my co-workers did. In summer there were over a hundred bikes parked outside the building I worked in. Your bike would have lasted less than two weeks before it was stolen. I think the median age of the bikes was about a decade, nobody wanted to ride a nice new bike to work. I am retired, no longer commute. But when I do ride a bike to where I used to work, I use a 1990s mountain bike that I bought at a garage sale for $5. The uglier the better.