View Single Post
Old 06-20-23, 03:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedar
Hi guys, i am partially rebuilding my very old highschooler road bike battaglin(or that's what the old paint said before stripping it down) on a budget because i don't feel like putting car budget into the bike.
I have bought a set of shimano 105 1055 8 speed shifters(bought them for 50 bucks since the previous owner said the left one was broke because it wasn't indexing anymore but only needed a inside clean) wich i am using with the same era rear derailleur(8 speed aswell) but i have a 9 speed casette and a 9 speed chain.
Is there any point to try and make it work on the first 8 sprockets or just buy new 8 speed cassette? I don't wanna throw away the 9 speed cassette as it's almost new and i hate throwing away things that are still in good shape.
And no, i am not willing to get anything newer because budget and parts are hard to find in this country.
you won't be happy with the shifting......

Get the 8sp. cassette.

The slightly narrower chain will work, but may be a bit less quick to shift.... internal bushing width(the part that actually rides on the gear teeth) remains the same, but the outer plates are narrower, and the pins can be shorter too.

Last edited by maddog34; 06-20-23 at 03:23 PM.