View Single Post
Old 06-22-23, 12:08 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I generally agree however a conformal battery is (usually) proprietary. I worry about being able to get a battery replacement for my bike a couple years down the road. Not sure if it can be re-celled.

/markp
I think we are very close to seeing a new business: there will be future vendors that will redo batteries in the future. These batteries will be repackaging using the solid state emerging non-lithium ion batteries technology and give the cycling community more range in same size battery package/case for the bicycles of today.
Yes, with Tesla, Samsung, and Panasonic on the verge of manufacturing the new solid state batteries the cycling community will have many exciting developments we as riders will enjoy in the next 5 years. I also presume the motor manufactures will not be asleep either and maybe we will get much cheaper electric motors that will provide same power in half the size/weight of the current motors and torque sensors, instead of the cheap cadence sensors.

I have lighten my KBO Stealth Hurricane version 1 to carry up and down 3 flights of stairs. 4 or 5 pounds lighter does not seem much, but it certainly is easier with a 32 pound rather than a 37 pound bicycle. I would have liked to have purchased a Ribble, Giant, Specialized, Trek or Orbea carbon fiber eBike in the 24-26 pound weight class, but my pocketbook will never provide the cash needed for the expensive light weight offerings from the major Bike manufactures. I find it funny to listen to many of the YouTube reviewer talk about 40 or 50 pound eBikes as being light weigh, when they are double the weight of what the cycling industry already has available to consumers. My 32 pound single speed belt driven eBike does 43 miles on the lowest power level on smooth pavement - flat routes. When I can increase the battery density to enjoy a 60 mile range my eBike will be almost perfect for me on the rides I enjoy.

Last edited by Namida12; 06-22-23 at 12:15 PM.