View Single Post
Old 06-23-23, 06:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Here is an "ethics" question:

I have the helmet (and bike) of my kid's 18yo friend in the garage. He crashed. I went over the bike fairly thoroughly and paid to have it inspected and the wheel re-trued. His helmet has a big crack in the (replaceable) jaw guard. He was out cold, and spend 6 or 8 hours in the ER, before being discharged. He is in total denial that he was out cold, and we are all fairly sure he will keep riding with the same helmet, rather than replacing it. The helmet itself (as opposed to the jaw guard) appears intact (Giro Switchblade MIPS).

Do we give it back to him as is, or lose it, or cut the straps, or what? He is 18, but his judgement perhaps is lagging in development. I don't want to be too heavy-handed, but I also don't want to see a repeat, or worse. I could go buy him a new one, but I think it goes for $250 to $300, and I would rather he gets a new one via crash replacement (if applicable) or something different (hopefully better).
Just because you can't see damage doesn't mean it isn't there. "Find" the damage if you have to but do not let him ride with that thing. Helmets are single-use items, and his has been used. That said, good luck talking sense to an 18-year-old male.
Likes For Korina: