Old 06-24-23, 05:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked 4,056 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like automotive paints because I like shinny finishes. I also sometimes use Rustoleum. I don't remember if I have actually used automotive 2k Clear Coat over Rustoleum, however, I have used it over Koolest Kolors single part enamel and it worked well. I think if you let the Rustoleum or enamel paint dry enough, I waited about a week and then use the 2k clear coat you should be good. Of course, you will need a compressor and gun. I don't know if this is something that you have or would consider.

As for specific clear coat brands, everyone has their own opinions on these. I have been using a value brand that I get from my local auto supply shop. The results are good for the price. If you go to paint forums some people like my choice and some do not. The other issue is the gun. You can do a good job with a Harbor Freight gun. I have one. It doesn't put out the volume of paint, a wide spray pattern or atomize as good as the pro guns, but for a cheap gun on a bicycle frame where you don't need a wide pattern, it does good. I also have a more expensive gun, but it is not one of those high priced pro guns. I am not a pro, or even close. I paint in my driveway.

As you probably know already @Andy_K , prep work is the most important factor and be patient. If you go this route, spray on a cardboard box to get used to whatever gun you use and get it set up.
Thanks for all that. I can see myself heading this direction in the future. I've been trying to figure out how whether I can build a proper paint booth under my back deck, but it seems a bit expensive to just paint a frame every year or two.

For this project my original idea was to see just how far I can push the limits of standard rattle can paint, and I think I'm going to stick with that. I can always strip it down and try again in a few years if I'm not happy with the results. That's one of the great things about doing your own work, I guess. The cost of materials is well within the budget of what I'd spend just to learn something new.