Old 06-28-23, 08:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10583 Post(s)
Liked 12,186 Times in 6,243 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Since I specifically took issue with a post about heavy riders, I am guessing your post is partially directed to me.
I disagreed with how the other post was worded- the post straight up claims a heavy rider and rim brakes is a mismatch and that is dangerous.

I agree that new stuff can work better. I have disc brakes on my gravel bike and my old gravel bike had canti brakes. I was never unsafe with the old bike's brakes and always stopped, but the current bike's disc brakes do work better.
Side note- the old gravel frame is now a commuter and has Vbrakes- it brakes better than before and is perfect for the way I ride the bike.
Worth noting, thought, that it seems you live in Iowa. My recollection of Iowa from driving across it twice is that it's NOT flat, but it is rolling. So, no 3-6 mile, 6+% mountain descents. So your need for brakes would be different from someone who lives where we DO have that kind of descent routinely. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles