View Single Post
Old 06-28-23, 09:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked 4,048 Times in 2,625 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've ridden with toeclips since I was 11 or 12. The converted to clipless a few years ago.

I do pull up. Not all the time, but from time to time when I want to add power to my pedaling. I find that I tend to pull up more when doing heavy resistance pedaling (hauling cargo). Also on the tail end of a long ride, it is easier to pull up when I want a little extra power than pushing down with exhausted legs.
+1 I proceeded you on that same timeline. Another benefit is being able to spare muscle injuries while still riding by "deleting" that portion of the stroke. I was coached to pedal circles by my veteran clubmates when I started racing. Thank you, thank you. It's a gift that keeps on giving. I don't always actually pull up on the pedals but I do often enough that if I forget to tighten my toestraps (more than half my year's mileage) it usually isn't long before I lift my cleat off the pedal. I feel handicapped if I cannot pull up for climbing, accelerating out of lights, etc.

Edit: I've had chondromalcia patellae for 45 years. It is the downstroke with pressure that does the damage. Being able to power the other 2/3s of the circle and spare my knees has been a real gift.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-28-23 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney: