Old 06-29-23, 05:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not commenting about the quality or methodology of the survey, but I understand the results.

Over last 50+ years I've noticed cyclists becoming more assertive (for better or worse, not a value judgement). I can see how drivers might associate that assertiveness with cyclists kitted out that way, and therefore focusing their resentment selectively. This isn't any different that how we, as cyclists, make judgements about drivers based on the type of car or pickup, so the only surprise is that anybody is surprised.
Indeed, I suspect that society as a whole has gotten more aggressive. But other factors may be playing a role as well. Traffic is more congested, meaning there are more occasions when cyclists find themselves in the fray. Together, these things raise everybody's frustration level. Cars are bigger and more powerful. It's hard to separate cause and effect.

And it's not particularly surprising that types of cars are related to the character of the driver -- cars are sold by appealing to social identity.