Old 06-30-23, 05:57 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
It's never the initial cost. It's when you start upgrading it that it tends to be not worth it. Even if you keep it bone stock and just set it up with new tires and tubes, brake pads, cables, housings, and bar wrap, you could have put that money into rehabbing a little bit better bike. Not that there's anything wrong with a Varsity, but nostalgia only goes so far when you could set your sights just a little higher and be further off in the long run. Like I said, you put money into a Varsity, and once the novelty wears off you still just have a Varsity.

I get what you’re sayin, I’ve yet to buy anything used that I didn’t at least have to replace the tires, and saddle, which for me would be at least 200 bucks right there.
However, its obvious you’re also responding from the point of view of someone who just doesn’t like Varsitys or probably any EF Schwinn. Reading the OPs post I don’t think he is one of those, along with other responders, and myself. Looking at the pic the OP posted, it looks like a pretty nice example, it won’t need all the stuff you mentioned, plus the OP stated he’d be happy just looking at it.
We have all thrown way more money at old bikes then they could ever be worth, or at least I have, so what, it’s a hobby, it’s fun! Personally, I think trying to break even, or come out financially ahead, would ruin any hobby for me.
You have a point though, if you don’t care for EF Schwinns, and or what they represent, and are worried about putting any money into one, he should probably pass.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73: