Old 07-02-23, 07:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10555 Post(s)
Liked 12,146 Times in 6,218 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
PM2.5 penetrate right down to the gas exchange surfaces in the alveoli of the lung and cross into the bloodstream where they cause endothelial damage and accelerate atherosclerosis. Chronic exposure to particulates also causes pulmonary fibrosis, leading to impaired respiratory function. Fitness is irrelevant to these chronic and cumulative processes.
This is the key. You're not going to come back from ONE ride in smokey conditions with Black Lung (also because that's coal dust, not smoke), but over more and more rides, over months or years, the damage adds up.

I won't ride outside if it's over 150 (PM2.5, LRAPA adjustment) anywhere along the route I plan to ride. I don't have any underlying lung issues - no asthma, no CPD. AND I check Purple Air to gauge what's coming over the time I'll be riding.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: