View Single Post
Old 07-02-23, 10:59 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
He is right, if the car isn't designed for one pick a quality place to get one made

But at the same time the response is a bit over the top alarmist. It leaves people with the wrong impression.

They don't make a hitch for my 1970 Datsun 240z either. That is why I will probably weld up one of my own.

But looking at list linked earlier the overwhelming majority of cars on the road today were designed for hitches, and if a kit exists, they are very easy to install. The concerns are not applicable to the majority of people on here. And I would think most people would know to seek another solution if a shop quoted a week's work and $1000+ to install one. You won't make your car unsafe installing a receiver hitch.

BTW I'm shopping for a new car and whether a hitch is available is one of the things I'm looking at. So far, I've yet to come across a model that wasn't designed for one.
agree

had receiver hitches made for a few vehicles - including a Honda Civic and Prelude and an Isuzu Vehicross ... the Vehicross required some careful bumper cover / valance surgery - but when complete the hitch was barely visible

the hitches were installed primarily for plug-in bike rack and cargo carrier use - but I even pulled an 8x10 flat bed trailer with the Prelude - once loaded with a 400 lb snowmobile and another time with a 600 lb tractor