View Single Post
Old 03-14-06, 01:53 PM
motorhommmer

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Brompton, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose51
I currently have a triple but am thinking about going to a FSA Gossamer compact. Would my Ultegra triple FR still work? Can I just adjust my 105 shifters to go back to double mode? Thanks.
If it is 105 9 speed I think you can do it. Following is an extract from some internet bumph. If you have a more recent setup I cannot help you.

The ULTEGRA, 105 and TIAGRA dual control lever and SL-R4400 Rapidfire lever can be used with either the double and triple crankset available with each group.
When setting up the left lever for use with a double crankset, use the lever's middle position for the large chainring, and the low position for the small chainring. The lever offers a trim poisition which allows the derailleur to be adjusted to prevent chain rubbing.
When setting up the left lever for use with a triple crankset, all three lever positions are used. (well, duh, Shimano )
Is your front shifting set up in this fashion? You could tell if it weren't, because the front shifter would have one "vacant" shift (for the missing inner chainring). If you pushed your downshift button several times, you'd have a really slack FD cable due to the vacancy.

Also, Shimano's 2002 catalog shows only one type of 105 levers, the ST-5500-CA. Can you look your levers over and confirm that this is the exact model number (including the -CA suffix) on your levers?