View Single Post
Old 07-04-23, 01:12 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 570 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Meh. I am not a fan of CF for certain components including bars, stems, and bottle cages. The Habanero does sport a crabon fiber seatpost, which I think is ok although I would consider a Ti one. My summer wheels are also CF.
It all started with carbon fiber wheels on a carbon fiber frame (actually everything) fat tire bike. I have tried to break them. Really, truly I have. It has been futile.

So for last summer's MTB to gravel conversion the Ti frame received carbon wheels, bars, and stem. One summer and part of a winter as a commuter and zero issues.

This year, the Time is almost entirely carbon. Frame, fork, seat post, bottle cages, wheels, spokes, handlebars, almost everything. Only thing I can think of that aren't are the wheel hubs, the chain, the gears, the brakes, and the fasteners. The Time is much better than my Lynskey and the Lynskey has a lot of carbon parts on it. Carbon really is better for almost everything.

Carbon doesn't fatigue, so if it is correctly engineered and manufactured it should retain its strength. The one thing it is not as good at is point impact. Or rim brakes in the rain, but one of my rim brake Lynskey has carbon wheels because they don't seem to bend in normal use, including normal road impacts.

My guess is that if you asked the engineers you know what their bikes are made of the majority would be carbon fiber or they would be planning on switching. So for me, I an keeping my Ti bikes for winter commuters where those impacts are more likely. But really, Ti should be reserved for things like my femur implant.