Old 07-08-23, 06:55 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 436 Posts
I wonder for masking of such complexity, if anyone has tried masking fluid that you paint on. I recall modelers using something called "Magic Mask". I see Amazon for instance has various brands.

Regardless, that is very complex masking.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've tried a few different kinds. For one project I used green Frog Tape, which I had on hand from having used it for painting walls in the house. It's good for masking the trim on walls. It left a lot of residue on the bike project I used it with, but other than that I think it was OK. For my previous project I decided to try something different. I got 3M ScotchBlue™ Ultra Sharp Lines tape (#2098). This stuff kind of plastic and a bit tougher than the Frog Tape. It tears off the roll easily, but stretches a bit. I find that for relatively simple lines it's a great choice. I used it on the fork crown pictured below on the 1979 Centurion Elite that I painted last year and was very happy with it for that project. For the Vincitore I'm working on now, I couldn't get it to cut cleanly enough for the tight curves and fine points of the lugs, even with a very sharp blade. When I was out getting some other supplies for the current project, I came across 3M Automotive Performance Masking Tape. The packaging said it was good for curved surfaces, so I thought I'd give it a try. You see from the pictures above that it worked well for conforming to the lug edges. It was mostly easy to cut, but on the fine points I kept getting a few fibers that didn't want to separate and essentially had to be scraped away from what I was leaving, sometimes pulling a bit off that I would have preferred to leave. I think for my case that's OK since I am masking chrome that I want to be bare in the end. I'll be able to polish off any minor overspray. If you were trying to mask a color to be kept it would be more of a problem. I haven't found a tape that is perfect for that.