Old 07-08-23, 07:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked 4,322 Times in 2,421 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The difference is that I'm not the one arguing that there's ONLY ONE WAY to stop or dismount.

In any case, there's no point in trying to teach anyone here something that they've done successfully countless times, usually with little, if any, conscious thought.

I invite anyone who cares to give a bit of conscious awareness to their stops/discounts next time they're out.

Whether they stay seated or not the basics are the same. You get ready to stop, prepare the designated "down" foot and leave the other, "up" foot, on the pedal, either for control or as a step to lift off the seat. (Without keeping the up foot on the pedal, you cannot come off the saddle).

Now that you,ve decided and cued your down foot, the final and critical step is to lean the bike or shift your weight to ensure that the bike will "fall" toward the down foot side.

However the person in the video fell, what is clear is that she erred in one of those steps, either by choosing to step to the side with a fall off, or failed to achieve the required lean to the left.

I saw it as the latter, others the former, but I'm happy to accept that "only her hairdresser knows for sure".
Again, it is very clear in the video that the woman did not try to lean to the left. She put her foot down from the saddle to the right and the drop was too far down. Had she dismounted the saddle by moving forward off the saddle as she stopped, she would have been far more likely to stop with the right foot down without toppling over the edge of a cliff. She wouldn’t have had to lean the bike at all and would have been more stable over all. Trying to put a toe or foot down from the saddle necessitates a lean and makes putting your foot on the ground in the wrong place much more likely and, thus, more prone to toppling over…and falling down cliffs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: