SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I dunno about some of this stuff. A lot of the things that have been posted here seem to be more matters of personal opinion. Wide bars, slack angles, disc brakes, I dunno if they are any better for gravel roads. I prefer the opposite, even down to these class IV roads in northern new england with rocks and ruts and mud. But I don't want to start a debate. That's why I said, any bike you ride on gravel is a gravelbike. Once I did 15 or 20 miles of ATV trails on my Vitus 979 as part of an 80-miles-to-cape-cod adventure. Twas indeed an adventure, but bike and rider made it out alive! The hybrid bikes and MTBs are equally good as my touring angle on things. Dirtdrops, rando bars, compact, narrow, wide, bullmoose, mustache bars, porteurs, risers, flat, anything goes! Maybe that's why gravel is "in" these days.
I think “anything goes” is part of why it’s popular. It seems in a world of increasing specialization a “new” bike was needed.
New defined as modern high performance bike (road bike tech) that was more useful than a road bike.

Cue the pitchforks and stoke the fires… I think Grant Petersen and modern gravel bike fans are probably desiring the same (or similar) type of riding experience. Maybe a couple pounds difference in their approach. Usually when I see spandex hamsters riding by, I can spot right away where a couple pounds should be shed…

I heard a saying before. The narcissism of small differences.

ETA it’s great to have options.
Likes For SkinGriz: