Old 07-17-23, 09:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 1,774 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Honestly I think the issue is the fitting. The compressor is a 8 gallon Husky single-stage. I had the output set on 80 psi, but only a tiny amount got into the tire. This compressor can run roofing nailers and spray guns, so I'm not concerned about the output.

Dave
Yeah, if you’ve got 8gal of air on hand, you should be able to seat any tire. You might try bumping up the psi to 120psi, but it sounds like you’ve sussed the problem as constriction at the inflator head.

I don’t know why that would be, so I’d check the fitting of the adapter to the valve first, and make sure the valve pin is fully open and not been closed by the threading on of the adapter.

Next, I’d confirm that I was running at least 3/8ths inch hose if not 1/2”, and definitely not chintzy 5/16ths or 1/4”. That’s from the compressor to the inflator head, the obvious “pinch point” for flow rate.

If all looks good there, I’d move to eliminate the adapter by getting a presta compatible inflator head, on the (perhaps outside) chance the adapter is causing the flow restriction by it’s very design. It’s a hack for having the wrong tools in any case, so I’d seek to jettison it and get a proper inflation head that can be fitted directly to the valve. There are several brands, including Prestaflator, but if you’re in this for real and plan to handle your own tire needs, I’d recommend just paying the seemingly absurd money for a Park INF-2. I’ve used a few inflators before Park, and the INF-2 is far and away the best by any standard that matters me to me, not the least of which is ergonomics.

If none of that fixes it, you’re doning something wrong and need to review your technique.