Old 07-23-23, 03:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7702 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
Unfortunately fixing Ti cracks is much more difficult and expensive compared to ones in steel. My friend cracked his Ti bike from direct hit at high speed. He could find anybody capable of repairing the frame for reasonable money.
yeah well ... if you run into stuff you will hurt your gear. I had a beautiful Chromoly MTB but I bent the frame in a hard crash .... and always what is "reasonable" varies with each person, but nobody really wanted to try to straighten a kinked down tube ...... I girl I used to date damaged the chaionstay on an AL Kalloy ... and it is even harder to get Al repaired .... because of the heat-treat. And as someone mentioned above, if you break a CF frame you Can patch it .... but maybe you shouldn't.

As it happens repairing CF is probably the easiest, since it is just a matter of mixing epoxy and wrapping layers of CF cloth (I have a CF repair kit on hand just in case,) but as with any repair ... get it wrong and maybe you won't know ... until you hit a bump on a 40 mph descent and you die when the frame collapses.

However ... that is an issue of Crashing ... not frame material.