View Single Post
Old 07-23-23, 04:13 PM
tubesocksFred

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I was riding citibike 30+ miles a day as part of my commute to and from work (I technically didn't even need to use the citibike as part of my commute, but I just decided to use it to get some exercise in). Once the pandemic hit, I could not use the bike and my membership lapsed. I also had 2 more annual membership whose use by date passed before the had a firm date on when we had to head back to the office. Now that going to the office is a semi-regular thing, I just get on the bike that I got for exercise at the beginning of the pandemic and do my 40 mile round trip commute with it, bypassing almost all the mass transit I use to take.

I did notice that citibikes are expanding farther and farther out into the outer boroughs, but still not far enough for me to be able to commute with it. My 80min commute might also turn into a 2 hour one if I rode a citibike instead.

I do appreciate the bike lanes (at least the ones that completely separated, without cars anywhere nearby, as opposed to ones that's just a place for trucks to stand), they allow me to just ride without having to look out for cars, their doors, etc. But I do miss the days when I could draft off cars or trucks, saving me tremendous amount of energy.