Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 1,330 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Why do you log miles out on the road? Probably to see how much riding you did right?
I log miles because I want to know how far I've gone...partially to compare to previous years, partially as a sense of accomplishment, partially because Going Places and Getting Out Of The House is one of the inate joys of cycling for me, and of course partially for bragging rights in BikeForum's end-of-year Annual Pissing Contest... but mostly so I can keep tabs on bike maintenance & consumables. I like data that supports "yowza, I rode over 800 miles last month, I'd better check my tires and chain!" since it's a handy reminder.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you ride on Zwift you would probably want to know your virtual mileage for exactly the same reasons. So why would you not log it?

Same with other metrics like climbing elevation. Whether they are real or simulated, the effort required is much the same.
No one is suggesting you don't log your time on Zwift. Or, even better, log your watts-per-hour if "effort" (aka "work") is what you're trying to measure.
But "Miles" are a measure of distance, not "effort".
My beef with the whole Should I Log My Trainer Miles [sic]? question is purely semantic; that's the wrong word to describe what you are doing.