Thread: Wide wheels
View Single Post
Old 07-25-23, 09:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
Rim design matters for how well the wind effects things but I have my 12yo daughter on 32mm deep rims on her road bike and 45mm deep on her track bike and even in stiff winds on the track has never struggled to control her bike or riding along the ocean with high wind speeds. At only 41mm deep I wouldn't think they'd be effected that badly unless they're not a newer shape or you're riding in really high winds. Basically though, unless you have a tailwind that's faster than you're going, you're always riding into a wind and an aero profile rim when specced with a proper size tire will always help you save time/energy. When companies speak of watts saved at 40kph/25mph which seems like an absurd speed for the average rider to maintain, they're actually referring to combined speed, if you're doing 15mph into a 10mph wind you're hit their 25mph, so they really do have the benefits reputable companies claim for the average rider.