Old 07-27-23, 05:19 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 3,064 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And - a few posters here will get very bent out of shape and go to extremes to point out that you broke some universal rules should they learn you went big-big, especially if it was by choice. I try not to but I don't loose sleep over it and I do make sure it can happen at any time on my bikes and no damage ensues outside minor excessive wear.

In one of my better races, state champs, I arrived at the finishing stretch in a field of about 25, very few of whom I could beat in a sprint. My bike was over-geared and I rode much of the race on the small ring but I double shifted to the big-big as we came on onto that stretch about 2 miles from the finish. Mile to go I quietly shifted to mid cog and went from the glass strewn right side of the road and pulled it off. (No, not the win. The break was long gone.) Riding the big-big meant that I didn't have to do anything attention getting when I wanted no one to even notice I was there. I was even with the first rider and going much faster when finally someone said "he's going!"
Maybe you would have had a better chance to win if you weren’t in one of your slowest gears while at the same time being in one of your fastest.