Old 07-27-23, 10:11 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikealangelo
Why do people opt for wider rims (e.g. Reynolds assault's) instead of older designs that have spokes that go almost all the way to the tire (like Shimano WH-RS500)? I tried out the Reynolds Assaults, and while they were faster on a straightaway, whenever I had a crosswind AT ALL, it was like I was riding a sail and I felt like I was working harder to keep the bike upright than I was working to get a reasonable speed. What am I missing? Do the gains somehow outweigh the cons?
You mean deep, but it really depends on the rider and where and when they ride. This is why personally I think a mid-tier depth wheel at 40mm-45mm makes the most sense, however there are some 35mm-38mm wheels that perform just as good aerodynamically as some 50mm ones yet will not have as much as a crosswind penalty.

My suggestion is to go staggered. My favorite wheelset to this day is the 2023 Winspace D45 where you have a 46mm wheel upfront and 54mm at the back, this allow for more control upfront while still getting pretty good aero gains.

Last edited by Jrasero; 07-27-23 at 11:08 AM.