View Single Post
Old 07-30-23, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,577 Posts
Don't remember those silver labels. All the rest could be changed out later. And perhaps those were the rear hangers I worked with. (My excuse - 6 weeks after leaving that job, I had the head injury that made me famous in the Boston racing circles. That and the S-10-S was our lowest priced bike and got the least of my attention. That year we had the very first Sun Tour Superbe bikes. Frames Fuji put extra care into that were gorgeous.)

Edit: Bike started its life as a "10 speed" with 120 OLD. Fuji only went 126 6-speed on their top two bikes in '77 as I recall. ('76 was all 120, including my top of the line Pro. My Mooney was built 120 so I could use its wheels. Post head injury - KISS; keep it simple, stupid.)

As you can probably tell, I have a soft spot for Fuji. Good, solid bikes that worked well. A good company that impressed me many times with good, sound and ethical decisions. My Pro broke. Seat tube at the BB. (Tubes were cut a little short and probably had a poor mitered fit. The crack started about a month prior. Fuji was notified. Decision was just to ride/race it until it broke, then Fuji would send me a new one. Broke in a race. NBD other than settling for a DNF. That winter Fuji gave me a hand built beauty not quite like last year's gems or the next year's. Alignment - dead on perfect. Best mechanic in Boston measured it up then just stood back in awe. (Then, probably a little sadly, squeezed it down to 120 OLD so I could race my wheels without change.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-30-23 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney: