Old 08-05-23, 10:46 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Are there many or any posters on the 50+ list who enjoy riding their bicycle for local transportation and or recreational purposes and do not obsess over maximizing performance, set performance goals. or agonize over the need to "improve" their cycling performance, and are unconcerned about being "dropped" by other cyclists?
✋ I ride my bikes for exercise as well as getting around. I also enjoy working on my bikes. I used to commute, but am now retired. I mostly ride alone, but got my figurative a** handed to me this morning on a group ride. I'm pretty sure everyone was 50+. That's okay. I knew that would happen. A couple group members were just back from Tour Divide and I wanted to say hi.

The nature of online forums is to foster communities. I doubt there are too many people interested in the ins and outs of riding to Home Depot or Whole Foods. That said, I suspect there might be a forum here on BF which is a better fit for people interested in bikes as transportation. The 50+ forum probably isn't it. As you've noticed, lots of folks in that demographic are still interested in performance. I think that's to be expected. Just because someone ages up and their basal metabolic rate is eroding doesn't mean they've lost all interest in performance.