View Single Post
Old 08-06-23, 10:14 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
California wants to create a driver’s license for electric bikes

https://electrek.co/2023/07/22/calif...lectric-bikes/
To be fair that is only for people who don't have an automobile driver's license. they want people who have never driven a vehicle to have some idea of the rules of the road. Not really an "ebike license".

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I can see arguments on both sides.

Problem with a lot of laws like this is inconsistent enforcement leading to charges of racism/profiling. Good chance Ebike licenses will create more troubles than solutions. Ideally parents monitor their kids, gradually giving them more freedoms as they demonstrate responsibility. Sort of like telling your kids don't leave the neighborhood. Hard to legislate that.

IMO one huge issue is distinguishing low power ebikes from electric motorcycles. Headlines almost never make the distinction. Even on this sight people throw around the "class" of ebike like it is some standard metric. Only a few states adopted the "class" standard.

IMO low power ebikes, like defined in HR 727, are nothing but a good thing. If electric motorcycles keep getting thrown into the same category as low power ebikes we risk unnecessarily restricting the good bikes.
Likes For Pop N Wood: