Thread: Stop? Signs…
View Single Post
Old 08-07-23, 06:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7711 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I was coming to a four way stop when a cyclist disregarded the stop sign. She didn't see me. I was surprised she didn't glance to the right or left. Perhaps she didn't see the sign.
Any cyclist who blows through any intersection without looking is not going to last long. A stop sign is not going to stop a car ... nor will a red light. People who ride traffic for a long time automatically expect the other vehicles to act badly ..... and are prepared to bail in self-defense.

I have zero respect for traffic laws. I will run a light or a stop sign at will .... I try not to, if a lot of cars are waiting because I don't want even more frustration in my environment---angry drivers do stupid things---but I am not going to sit at an intersection, the only vehicle for a mile in any direction, waiting for a light to change, nor come to a stop for cars which are clearly not there.

My rules are basically, "Don't have accidents, don't cause accidents, try not to annoy fellow road users." I see all that sign and signal noise as good suggestions, but realize they no more control me than they do any other road user.

I have been wrecked by a driver running a 4-way .... he didn't hit the sign, so it didn't slow him down at all.
Likes For Maelochs: