Old 08-08-23, 09:21 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah, I'vd read comments about it happening and believe it happens.
It's just not something that I have experienced, or read as being a widespread issue, or heard as being a widespread issue.

3000mi is a 2-3 years of riding for a lot of people. And if they have multiple bikes, it could be a couple years even if they ride 3000mi per year in total.
Just doesn't seem like sometthing that I would weigh heavily when considering groups.
It's like if I did a bunch of handwringing over the possibility that a battery fails and bricks out on a di2 drivetrain. Yeah it's possible, but it isn't something I would actually use to weigh my decision.
another trip to the LBS every six months is definitely a factor for me, when compared with, well, zero trips to replace cables. especially when you throw in the increasingly unsatisfying shifting leading up to the replacement. obviously not an expensive or particularly complex fix, but beyond my mechanical ability at the moment and pretty unacceptable longevity of what really shouldn't be a fast wearing component (like, say, brake pads or tires) if properly designed and specified.