Old 08-08-23, 09:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked 1,558 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
another trip to the LBS every six months is definitely a factor for me, when compared with, well, zero trips to replace cables. especially when you throw in the increasingly unsatisfying shifting leading up to the replacement.
Exactly. Plus if you wait too long the RD cable breaks while on a ride, leaving you stranded, plus the hassle of extracting the broken end from the STI lever.

obviously not an expensive or particularly complex fix, but beyond my mechanical ability at the moment ...
I suppose how difficult it is largely depends on the cable routing of your frame. Mine was not bad but entails removing both shift cables to remove the RD one so I had to replace both.

... and pretty unacceptable longevity of what really shouldn't be a fast wearing component (like, say, brake pads or tires) if properly designed and specified.
Not sure if this could be helped given the small radius turn that the cable has to travel through within the STI levers.