View Single Post
Old 08-09-23, 05:15 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Edit: I looked it up and it seem that Schwinn started putting the date code on the head badge in 1976. Can someone confirm that this is correct?
Date codes on the headbadge began in late 1975.

Originally Posted by albrt
There is no serial number. I scraped some of the paint off the head tube where the serial number would be for a 70s bike, and it looks like it got filed off. I can see faint traces that might be from the serial number but I can't report anything definite until I get it fully cleaned up.

The head badge number is 0077, but frankly the headbadge looks much newer and cleaner than anything else on the bike. Consistent with my theory that somebody tried to pass it off as a Superior at a later date.
This head badge, Schwinn Chicago. with the black background looks like a head badge from the Greenville, Mississippi factory. If so, it is from 1987.

No serial number? I have never seen a Schwinn from Chicago without a serial number. Some where not stamped very deep into the metal.

Super Sport is a good start. Super Sport with year codes late G, H, and J had pressed dropouts, not forged. So late 1972, 1973 or 1974 is my best estimate..