View Single Post
Old 08-12-23, 08:04 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Kind of an aside comment..and undoubtedly I'm missing something, but these threads on navigation, where people have purchased 3, 4, 5 models of various higher/high-end garmin (or other) units always amazes me a bit. (I spent my career in tech and finished it crunching large data and developing computer models of transportation systems...not afraid of new technology..)

My entire tour navigation system consists of a $12 wireless bike computer that indicates speed, ave speed, distance covered and a Garmin Etrex 20 for navigation. Routes (actually tracks) are worked out on on a laptop using RWGPS. The tracks are then downloaded, transferred to Basecamp and then loaded into the Etrex 20. I also download a kml file from RWGPS and load that into Organic Maps on my cell phone..as a backup and easier to study version to reference as needed. The phone isn't used for active navigation..sucks too much power. I'd rather have a charged phone available for other tasks it does better.

This system never fails and the Etrex lasts a long time on two AA batts.

As I said..I'm sure I'm missing something with the more..exotic..systems. If I felt to need for something more I'd dive in..hasn't happened yet.
Likes For fishboat: