Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Interesting study but a couple of things to note:
  1. Small sample size; just 27 ebikes
  2. Sample was taken back in 2017/2018, which seems like forever ago in a rapidly-evolving field
  3. Ebikers in the study were on average 15+ years older than the conventional bikers

Something I'd like to see in studies like this is the riding experience and proficiency of the subjects. The impression that I get is that many ebikers are older and less experienced and proficient than recreational cyclists, particularly the ones so engaged with the activity that they participate in forums like this one.

Rider proficiency is missing from many of these conversations. Put members of this forum on ebikes and they'll likely be safer than your average ebike owner and likely no more at risk than riding their normal bikes because of their proficiency.

I'd like to see more ebike training, something akin to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider training courses for new motorcycle riders.
...it's new tech. There will be a dearth of information on injury and safety statistics for years, because it's new tech.
Yes, the initial studies will have small sample sizes. It's a very large world wide experiment, at this point. The statistics will roll in gradually, but they won't roll in at all unless we decide to codify them.

A lot of the studies now are just compilations of injuries from all the electric wheeled devices, inclusive of scooters, skateboards, bikes, etc. And I'm not aware of any that focus on the numbers of collisions/accidents that can be causally attributed to the riders of them. Becuase they are considered bicycles, they escape a lot of the accident and injury documentation you'd get with licensed vehicle misuse.

Yes, rider proficiency is a huge factor. Again, that's where regulation plays a part. We don't let people drive cars or ride motorcycles without demonstrated proficiency. But anyone with the cash to buy one can walk in tomorrow, but the most powerful, throttle regulated e-bike in the store, and ride it home. If they feel so inclined, and they live here in California, they can take a short cut on the available sidewalk, if traffic gets in the way. But yes, injury studies like this are problematic at this point, because of the novel nature of the problem.

I've even seen one study comparing leg ortho injuries between bikes, e-bikes, and motorcycles. The good news is that, apparently, most e-bike limb fractures are to the lower portion of the extremity.
Likes For 3alarmer: