Old 08-13-23, 08:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 803 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If I were to come up with regulations for unlicensed motorbikes, I'd focus on top speed. Most cyclists don't average higher than low 20s, if that. Seems a more reasonable limit than the current 30 mph. All this talk of throttles and pedals is just irrelevant distraction. Why should anyone care if the motor is engaged by hand or foot? Same goes for the type of motor. Gas, electric, does it matter? Regulations are largely written by industry lobbyists and a speed half again what can be achieved w/o a motor may help sell a product but may not be the best way to have these continue to be regarded as similar to pedal bikes.
I agree with you on that. And it does seem that for some reason, 20mph seems to be a benchmark to be considered as a bicycle that I've seen. But the reality is that very FEW bicyclists average anywhere the low 20s on the terrain that a typical MUP is (flat-ish, easy rolling hills). Low 20s is very fast on a bike on flat ground and not compatible with MUPs IMHO. Sure there are lots of people that can do that, but they are serious, fit bicyclists. Average recreational cyclists, even fairly fit ones, maybe hit 15 for any length of time, and the average casual cyclist is lucky to go 10. The cyclists that can go 20+ generally (NOT ALWAYS) are very experienced and savvy enough to avoid doing that among other MUP users. The novice that gets on an ebike that can go 20 is going a lot faster than general MUP users and most likely doesn't have the sense or ability to do so.

I don't know what the solution is. 20 mph is a good speed if one is commuting, or utility riding.And it's OK on an empty or little-used MUP with good sight lines and riders with sense enough to slow down when it's not appropriate. I do pedal 20 or so in those conditions. But to consider them the same as bicycles and allow them carte-blanche on an MUP, I dunno.
Likes For Camilo: