Old 08-14-23, 12:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4542 Post(s)
Liked 5,049 Times in 3,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
My emphasis above. To that statement - yes and no. I think it depends entirely on the type of event one is trying to perform in. For me, a training diet of 95% z2, 6 to 9 hours per week, from December to May, had me performing better in spring brevets than I ever did before. In past years, my preparation included a lot of z3, z4, and z5 riding, but my endurance and 'durability' was poor with that older approach. I was putting in slightly less time on the bike overall then. About 5 to 7 hours per week. GhostRider62 was very helpful in providing inspiration and guidance to try things a different way, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. My z4 and z5 performance probably sucks, but it's basically irrelevant, for me, as I would not typically alter my chosen pace at any given time to try to ride with others, be they slower or faster. I did a lot of solo riding in those brevets, but that's fine by me. Comparing my riding between last year and this year, I am now riding a bit faster, with a 10-20 bpm lower heart rate, with much greater bonk resistance and much less tendency for my legs to fade as the miles go by.

For someone who wants to do a double century or similar long distance event, but specifically in a group setting with pack of riders, they need to care very much about their z4 and 5 power, so they don't get dropped on the hills, etc. So they might still want to have a z2 based training plan, but they need to do a couple 4-week blocks of different length intervals as they approach their event. And maybe even do an abbreviated interval workout every 10 days or something like that during their build up / base phase.
That all makes sense. My typical target events are century group rides on rolling terrain with plenty of very steep, relatively short climbs. The climbs often require VO2 max efforts just to keep moving. Weaker riders are walking those climbs. A good example would be Mow Cop (the killer mile). So repeated high intensity efforts are essential for my riding. Endurance is important too and that's where I'm at my weakest on a lower volume plan. But if I gradually extend my longer training rides in the lead up to events I usually finish strong. I guess that would be the reverse of a traditional winter base plan.

This reminds me that a lot of my riding friends really back off their training intensity over the winter and wonder why they are dog slow in spring! I tend to reduce my winter riding volume, but do plenty of mixed indoor interval training throughout the winter months. Then I add volume in the lead up to my target events. I guess you would call that reverse periodisation?