Old 08-14-23, 11:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Best solution I've found is two or more lights, separated by about a foot/30cm or so helps drivers determine distance, speed, etc. Even with the minimal separation of lights on a typical motorcycle, they're still easier to see than most bicycles -- unless the cyclist is using multiple lights with some separation. For years I've usually ridden with lights on my bike and helmet.

At night I usually set the rear light to pulse mode, which can be adjusted in duration and speed. However in group rides I'll set it to steady unless I'm riding as sweep, tailgunner or caboose to watch for riders who lag behind or have mechanical or health problems, in which case I use the pulse mode since there are no cyclists immediately behind me.

In daytime I use the brightest strobe mode. It's still barely visible from a distance in some conditions, but it helps.

My clipless cycling shoes have reflective patches, but with time and wear the visibility has faded. I need to add some adhesive reflective patches. There's also reflective tape for frames.

The best visibility enhancement by far that I've seen is colorful LED wheel spoke lights. These don't even need to be blinding in brightness to offer a huge increase in visibility. These are definitely the best I've seen for side visibility. Even the best front and rear lights are still barely visible from the side.