Thread: Tubeless
View Single Post
Old 08-15-23, 06:28 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I tried tubeless on one of my bikes but decided that, of the advantages, all I really wanted was the additional flat protection of sealant. I opted to use Flat Attack sealant in the tubes instead. There are advantages to tubeless, most of which arose from competition; lose the weight of the tube, eliminate the possibility of pinch flats for instance. Neither of those meant anything to me. Mounting and sealing them is a pain and friends have had problems with refreshing the sealant and ended up with congealed sealant in the tire throwing the wheel out of balance. It was easier to get the flat protection I wanted by adding sealant to the tubes. Flat Attack brand is warranted to remain viable for five years so it doesn't need periodic refreshment. It's not aggressive enough for tubeless mounting but seals more than 90% of punctures. I've had four flats on the road since using it 6 years ago and ride more than 5K miles per year. The flats I've had were catastrophic such as a 4D framing nail through the tread and sidewall or a piece of glass leaving an inch and a half gash in the tread. The rest have been minor punctures which sealed after adding some air and riding. After changing one tube and tire I counted 13 punctures which had sealed while I was riding. I think it adds a lot of mileage to the tires.